We complained about how big the DJI Air Unit is, and they listened! The new Caddx Vista VTX is a much smaller Air Unit for the DJI Digital FPV system, making it easier to install, and compatible with even smaller drones.
Learn more about the DJI Digital FPV System here.
The VISTA VTX is a collaboration between Caddx and DJI, and fully compatible with DJI’s HD FPV System. It’s much smaller, lighter, and $30 cheaper than the full size Air Unit, but in the cost of lower output power, due to the removed aluminium case.
You can tell the new VISTA VTX is made for smaller FPV drones, the mounting holes are 20x20mm which means it can be installed directly in your FC stack. They do claim to be compatible with whoops and toothpick class, so that’s interesting.
To reduce weight, the VISTA uses only a single antenna, but claim to have maximum 4KM of range. Not bad at all for smaller drones!
Frequencies are exactly the same as the full size Air Unit, it still uses the same 8 channels. It also supports the DJI remote for radio control if you don’t want additional radio receiver in your drone.
Another big change is the input voltage range, it now supports up to 6S! When DJI was first developing the digital FPV system, nobody was running 6S back then, and it was too late for them to change the design when the system came out. It’s great that they fixed it in their latest product.
- VISTA VTX 30.45 x 29 x 13mm (20x20mm + 25.5×25.5 mounting holes)
- Camera 27.4 x 21.1 x 20.1mm
- Antenna 80mm
- VISTA VTX 19g
- Camera 10g
- Antenna 3.5g
- Antenna Connector: U.FL
- 200mW, 500mW, 700mW selectable output power (it’s rumoured that the VISTA supports 1200mW too, but yet to be confirmed)
- Maximum Range: FCC 4Km, CE 0.7Km
- Takes 2S to 6S Input Voltage (7.4V – 26.4V)
- Operation frequency: 5.725-5.850GHz
- High quality mode 30-40ms
Low latency mode 21-28ms
- Compatible with DJI HD camera (from full size air unit)
Compatible with DJI HD goggles
- Interface: USB-C, IPEX, 3in1 Port
We’ve yet to learn about how good the video recording is with this smaller Air Unit, what the file format, resolutions are etc. I will come back with this info when I have them. Do let me know if there is anything else you’d like to know!